Tourist Visa to Prague Czech Republic

If you’re travelling to the Czech Republic you require valid passport or ID card (for EU members). EU and EEC citizens do not need a visa for any purpose of visit. Czech Republic is now part of Schengen zone.

The Czech Republic is an EU member state and has an open-border policy with neighbouring EU countries. To enter the Czech Republic, even if you have the valid visa, you must have a passport with at least 6 months validity i.e. if you arrive on January 1st, your passport must not expire before June 1st of that year. If you have children aged 15 or over they must have their own passport.


Schengen zone

At midnight on the 20th of December 2007, the Czech Republic became a member of the so-called Schengen zone. The border posts which divided the country from its neighbours are now a thing of the past and travel in Europe just got that bit easier. From that date Czech Republic abolished passport checks at its land borders and at international airports for traveller from the Schengen zone.
Passengers arriving from or travelling to countries outside the Schengen zone will go through passport checks at all international airports (Prague-Ruzyně, Brno-Tuřany, Ostrava-Mošnov, Pardubice and Karlovy Vary).


Visa free countries

Citizens of following countries do not need a tourist visa (for all EU Schengen Member States including Czech Republic) up to 90 days within 180 days. 


Other nationalities probably need to apply for a visa at their nearest Czech embassy or consulate for a Schengen Visa. This can takes up to 30 days, so apply well ahead. There is no visa upon arrival, so if you require a visa and don’t have one, you’ll be refused entry. Visa can be extended for another 90 days at Cizinecka Policie a pasove sluzby. Applications take a few days to process. You have to pay extra fee. A return or onward ticket is usually (but not always) required to gain entry to the Czech Republic. 


Czech Shengen Visa

There are four types of Czech Schengen visa. The one mostly isued for tourists is type D. A Schengen visa allows you to travel freely among the 25 Schengen states. If your country has a visa waiver programme with EU countries you do not need a tourist visa for stays not exceeding 90 days. For more than 90 days you need a national visa from the country where you want to stay. Once you have a national visa ("D" type) you are also allowed to use it for travel between Schengen states.


Czech Schengen Visa


Passport validity

As from the 1st of May 2004 nationals from European Union countries and European Economic Area can travel to the Czech Republic with a passport or ID card which is valid for the entire duration of their stay. All other nationals who do not require visas: The passport must be valid for a period of at least 90 days beyond the expected length of stay in the Czech Republic, counted from the date of entering the Czech Republic. If you require visa your passport has to be valid for at least 90 days beyond the requested length of the visa.


Formalities upon arrival

Foreign nationals whose stay in the Czech Republic will exceed 30 days (including EU and EEA citizens) are obliged to register within 30 days on their arrival in the Czech Republic with the Alien and Border Police. In case you stay in a hotel or similar institution the provider of the accommodation should arrange this registration for you.



Embassy of the Czech Republic in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
26 Kensington Palace Gardens, London W8 4QY
Tel.: (+44) 20 7243 1115
Fax: (+44) 20 7727 9654


Children inscribed in parent's passport

Children inscribed in their parents´ passports are allowed to travel with their parents up to the age of 15. Once the child has reached the age of 15, a separate passport is necessary. 


Comments (60)

Cherie Dam
Said this on 11-17-2011 At 03:00 pm
Hi there,

We are South Africans living and working in Bermuda. I have phone two Czech embassies in the US (New York and Washington DC) and neither said we can apply there. They also mentioned we would have to fly to london, UK to get a visa. This sounds a bit ridiculous as we would need a visa just to go to London. Would anyone know where we can apply for a visa as there is no consulate in Bermuda.

Said this on 10-4-2011 At 04:23 am
Hai... Im nurul from malaysia.. Im study in pruge.. i went back to malaysia for a holiday. The problem is my visa have expired. I've already apply for new visa but i did'nt take the visa yet.. So would it be okay for to travel to pruge because i didn't have return ticket to malaysia. Please reply as soon as possible cause my flight to purge is today
Said this on 10-4-2011 At 09:31 am
Once you will arrive to Prague you might be asked to present return ticket, but it is very rarely required. If this happen you might prove that you have sufficient funds to purchase return ticket and you should be just fine.
Nabila Boulemden
Said this on 9-21-2011 At 04:10 pm
To whom may it concern.
My name is Nabila and I am married with British man at this moment I have Indefinite Leave in the UK. I am going to visit Prague in November time.
I am wondering wither I need a visa to visit Prague? if so may you tell me how I can apply to that.
My regareds.
Nabila Boulemden
aline khoury
Said this on 5-31-2011 At 10:56 pm
I am aline from lebanon. i wants to visit the Czech Republic for my honeymoon Please can i get all the information about the tourist visa and how can i apply for it, what are the requirements i need to preepare?
my fiance is living in lagos nigeria for the moment, can he apply for the visas from there?
how many days we need to get the visa from the day we apply for it??

thank you

New comments are currently disabled.