Home / Attractions/What to See / House at the Three Ostriches

House at the Three Ostriches

This beautiful Renaissance house dating from 1597 was built for Jan Fux, an ostrich feather merchant. In 1606 Fux rebuilt his house, adding a large beautiful fresco of ostriches. During that time the house also functioned as a pub frequently visited by Charles IV, the Czech King and Holy Roman Emperor, when he was supervising construction work on the Gothic stone bridge during the 14th century. In 1714, Prague’s first coffee house opened here. It is now The Hotel U Tri Pstrosu and also has a restaurant.

Location: Dražického náměstí 12, Lesser Town
In Czech: U TŘÍ PŠTROSŮ

At the Three Ostriches

U Tří pštrosů – Many Prague colourful house signs hint at what had been the main trade of the place. An owner of this Renaissance style house was a supplier of ostrich feathers. In 1714, the first coffee house in Bohemia was opened here. Nowadays the building serves as a …

Read More »