Founded in 1242 on a sheer cliff above the Sázava River, the fortress home of the Šternberk family commands wonderful views of the valley. The castle was remodelled in the baroque style by Italian craftsmen between 1660 and 1670. The rococo Chapel of St Sebastian and the Yellow Room, with an elaborate stucco moulding by Carlo Bentano, are particularly beautiful. There is also a display of silver miniatures and a set of engravings on the staircase which depict scenes from the Thirty Years’ War.
Český Šternberk Information: website
Open: Jul—Sep Tue—Sun 9-6; May Sat—Sun