This square is located in front of the Old Town Bridge Tower with nice views across the Vltava, named after the 13th-century guardians of the Judith Bridge. This small square is formed on three sides by the Church of St Francis, the Baroque Church of St Salvator and the Old …Read More »
Knights of the Cross Square
The Knights of the Cross Square (Krizovnicke Namesti) is one of the smallest squares in Prague. It is situated next to the Charles Bridge and the Old Town Bridge Tower. Here you can visit the interesting baroque Church of St. Francis, which was built between 1679 and 1685. The gallery of the Knights of the Cross is situated in the neighbouring early baroque building of the hospital and the General’s Seat of the Knights of the Cross with a Red Star. The gallery hosts a collection of specimens of work by European goldsmiths from the late Gothic era to the 20th century.
The square as it is known today originated in 1847 with the demolition of a vintner’s lodge. A monument honouring Charles IV as the founder of the University of Prague was then erected in front of the hospital and the General’s Seat of the Knights of the Cross. Allegories of the historic university’s faculties of theology, medicine, law and philosophy sit atop a pedestal under a neo-Gothic awning. Sculptor Ernst Julius Hahnel designed the monument in 1844.
Church of St Francis: open only for services Sun-Fri
Gallery Křížovník: is open daily