Daliborka tower was used as a prison and was named after its first prisoner Dalibor of Kozojedy, who was imprisoned for supporting serfs of another squire. According to the legend he learnt to play the violin there and this legend gave rise to the Czech proverb “Nouze naučila Dalibora housti”, …Read More »
The tower has a conical roof and used to be part of the fortifications built by Vladislav Jagiello. The Daliborka Tower was built in the 15th century and named after Dalibor of Kozojedy who was jailed here in 1498 for supporting a peasant rebellion, and later executed. According to a myth, he learnt to play the violin while awaiting execution. His playing could be heard throughout the castle and people came to listen and lowered food and drink to him. The story was used by Bedřich Smetana in his opera Dalibor.
Location: Prague Castle, Golden Lane (Zlatá ulička)
Open: on request only