Lobkowicz Palace was built on the site of two large Gothic houses by Wolf Krajir z Krajku at the beginning of the 16th century, followed by the lords of Pernstejn, one of the largest Bohemian noble families of the 16th century. Originally a Renaissance palace with rich architectural decorations, it was reconstructed for them in early baroque style after the Thirty Years War. Only two halls and a chapel were left from the original palace. The palace used to house a branch of the National Museum with a collection on Czech history until 1848, including replicas of Czech coronation jewels, the sword of the executioner, Jan Mydlar, and other documents, paintings, sculptures and weapons. Now it is used only for exhibitions and concerts. Today, and open to the public, it is the exquisite small museum of the Lobkowicz family’s remarkable and varied collections. Here you can see items ranging from the 12th to the 20th century, including original manuscripts by Mozart and Beethoven, musical instrument and gun collections, collections of arms from central Europe, magnificent Old Master paintings and decorative arts – all accompanied by a very moving audio tour. Opposite the palace is an enjoyable toy museum.