The building of the former Ceremonial Hall and Mortuary situated at the Old Jewish Cemetery might at first sight look rather like a castle or Romanesque manor. It was built in a pseudo-Romanesque style in 1911-12 according to the design of a prominent architect, František Gerstel. Nowadays, this building holds …Read More »
The Jewish Ceremonial Hall (Obradni sin) can be found in the Jewish Quarter (Josefov). It was built in 1911-12 in a pseudo-Romanesque style under the direction of architect J. Gerstl for the Jewish Burial Society (Hevrah Kaddishah). Originally used as a ceremonial hall and mortuary it now forms part of The Jewish Museum of Prague holding exhibitions relating to Jewish history, customs and traditions, with particular emphasis on the themes of illness and death. On the ground and upper floors of the Hall is housed the part section of the permanent exhibition, Jewish Customs and Traditions.
Location: U starého hřbitova; part of Jewish Museum
Open: Apr—Oct Sun—Fri 9-6, Nov—Mar 9-4.30
Closed: on Sat and during Jewish holidays