The Pinkas Synagogue (Pinkasova Synagóga) was founded in 1479 by Rabbi Pinkas. The women’s gallery and council hall were added in the 17th century. This synagogue was rebuilt many times over the centuries. After World War II, it served as a memorial to the Czech Holocaust victims. Ten years later, the Communist Government closed the memorial and removed the names from the walls. Their names were re-inscribed on the walls after the fall of Communism in 1989. There is also a collection of paintings and drawings by 15,000 children held in the Terezin concentration camp during World War II. Recently, an interesting fact was discovered during excavations – evidence that the site was a Jewish place of worship long before the time of Rabbi Pinkas.