St. Nicholas Church
No posts to display
There are three churches called St. Nicholas (Kostel sv. Mikuláše) in Prague, but only one located in Lesser Town is regarded as an outstanding example of Baroque architecture. This church, dominating the local skyline with its 70m-high dome, took 82 years to build and was finally finished in 1755; it was built and designed by Kristof Dientzenhofer, continued by his son Kilian and finished by Anselmo Lurago. The statues, frescoes and paintings inside the church are by leading artists of the day, such as Karel Škréta and Johann Kracker. During WW II, the Czech army was stationed in this church, and artists at the same time restored a lot of it. Originally a church of a Benedictine monastery, it now belongs to the Czechoslovakian Hussite Church. There are beautiful ceiling paintings that show scenes from the life of St. Nicholas and St. Benedict and a wonderful chandelier. The southern facade is decorated with figures of saints. Decorated with white stucco, it has been nicknamed ‘the wedding cake’ and is a classic example of Prague Baroque architecture. Ignaz Platzer created the copper statue of St. Nicholas, which looks down from the high altar. The splendid dome is 18m: in fact higher than Petrin Tower. The rococo pulpit with angels and cherubs was made by Peter and Richard Prachner in 1765. Inside is the Baroque organ of 1746, played by W. A. Mozart, when he was in Prague. Four years later, it was played at a funeral Mass in his memory. Just for curiosity, the organ has 2,500 pipes and 44 registers.
St. Nicholas Church is also a popular musical venue, especially during the summer. Lesser-known orchestras or quartets perform here. Near to this church, you can take a horse-driven cab and make a tour around Lesser Town Square.
Open: Mar-Oct, daily 9am-5pm; Nov-Feb, daily 9am-4pm.
Concerts: Wed-Mon, usually at 6 pm.
Admission: 60 CZK (30 CZK reduced).