Palacky Square is located in the historical part of Prague 2 – Podskalí, which is one of the main intersections with the major tram hub. The main interest of today’s square started to arise after the catastrophic floods that hit Prague in 1845 when river levels rose by more than five metres over normal levels and greatly damaged this part of town. In subsequent years, therefore, in this place, the ground was artificially raised, and a solid stone wall was built, with a height ranging from eight to eleven metres. The right bank of the Vltava River was now adequately protected in the future from similar events. The newly-created town square was named in 1896 after Francis Palacky.
In Czech: Palackého náměstí