The Jewish community was founded in the latter years of the 11th century, and Jews were never allowed to expand beyond this small quarter called Josefov, named after Emperor Josef II. Fire in 1689 and subsequent demolition left only six synagogues, the Ceremonial Hall, the Town Hall and the Old Jewish Cemetery. In the days leading to the genocide of the Jews by the Nazis in World War II, the treasures of numerous synagogues in Bohemia were brought to Prague for safekeeping so that a museum might be founded to document an extinct race after the German victory. The collection is now managed by the Jewish Museum, which oversees several museums housed in the synagogues of Josefov – Old Jewish Cemetery, Spanish Synagogue, Pinkas Synagogue, Old-New Synagogue, Old-New Synagogue, High Synagogue, Jewish Town Hall and Klausen Synagogue.
© 2021 Prague-Guide.uk :: All Rights Reserved